Last updated: 19 January 2010
The libraries in this group are intended to be used with hosted systems. Libraries that access DLLs or shared libraries are strongly encouraged to use the EXTERN library.
- EXTERN provides an interface from a host Forth to DLLs or shared libraries. EXTERN can be used at least with Windows, Linux and OS/X.
The libraries in this group are intended for embedded systems
The libraries in this group have no dependencies on specific operating systems or hardware.
- ANS test suite. Widely regarded as the most comprehensive Forth test suite, this comes from Gerry Jackson and is a descendent of the suite by John Hayes.
- FMS - Forth Meets Smalltalk. It seems that the Forth community will never be able to standardise an OOP package. This is a package using object/message notation.
- FFL - Forth Foundation Library. A collection of library routines targeted at larger applications. Some need access to a file system and some need floating point.
This section contains freely available literature about Forth.
- Forth Dimensions was the magazine of the Forth Interest Group USA. At present (Jan 2010), access through its main server is erratic. We have mirrored it.
- Starting Forth - Leo Brodie. Sadly out of print, but if you find a copy, especially of the second edition, buy it. A web version by Marcel Hendrix is described as a tribute to this great book and is available for reading.
- Thinking Forth - Leo Brodie. A PDF of this wonderful book is available for download.